Biostimulation versus Enhanced Bioremediation
Range Finding Bioassays
Biostimulation Efficacy Tests
HC-2000 bioremediation efficiency outperformed Micro-blaze, F-500, BioSolve, and EPAs synthetic inorganic fertilizer control for the petroleum hydrocarbons tested. In addition, HC-2000 proved to be less toxic than that the other products tested by having the largest increase in total heterotrophic bacteria counts following inoculation. Note that plate counts actually decreased following inoculation with Biosolve and F-500. HC-2000 has a freshwater 96-Hr aquatic toxicity that is 4.1 times less than Micro-blaze.
1. Cookson, John T., Bioremediation Engineering - Design & Application, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1995.
2. Venosa, Albert d., et. al, Literature Review on the Use of Commercial Bioremediation Agents for Cleanup of Oil-Contaminated Estuarine Environments, USEPA, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH, July, 2004.
3. Nikolopoullou, M., Kalogerakis, N., Enhanced Bioremediation of Crude Oil Utilizing Lipophilic Fertilizers Combined with Biosurfactants and Molasses, Marine Pollution Bulletin 56 (2008) 1855-1861., Elsevier Ltd, 2008.
4. Trimmed Spearman-Karger Estimation of LC50 Values in Toxicity Bioassays, Montana State University, Environmental Science Technology, 1978.
5. 40 CFR, Part 300, Appendix C, 4.0 Bioremediation Agent Effectiveness Test, 7-1-003 Edition.
6. ANS521 (Alaska North Slope) crude oil, Crude Oil - ANS521 Crude, recd. 20 BERC 4/27/93, 9 April 2010 ELH, outside canister 485380, ATCC 1081 Univ. Blvd., Manassas, VA 20110.
7. Ryckman, M.D., Remtech Engineers, An Evaluation of Fire Suppression & Bioremediation Products for Spill Control in Non-Fire Situations, November, 2000.
8. Ryckman, M.D., Remtech Engineers, Range Finding Freshwater Aquatic Toxicities of HC-2000 & Micro-blaze, June, 2010.
9. Venosa, Albert D., Proposed Changes in the Protocol for Listing Bioremediation Agents on the NCP Product Schedule, USEPA, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH, PowerPoint Presentation, 2010.
10. Nichols, W.J., Venosa, Albert D., Summary of the Literature on the Use of Commercial Bioremediation Agents for Cleanup of Oil-Contaminated Environments, USEPQ National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH, PowerPoint Presentation
11. Coastal Bioanalysts, Inc, Micro-Blaze 6% solution NCP Toxicity Bioassay Aquatic Toxicity Test Results, M. Beryllina, 1390, January 7, 1998.
12. Federal Aviation Administration, Screening of Fire Fighting Agents, Applied Research Associates, Inc., Tyndall AFB, FL, 2003., MicroblazeOut+, 949 ppm.